How To Add My Computer As the Fifth Internet Explorer Security Zone

Article ID: 555599 - View products that this article applies to.
Author: Soumitra Sengupta MVP
System TipThis article applies to a different version of Windows than the one you are using. Content in this article may not be relevant to you. Visit the Windows 7 Solution Center

SUMMARY

By default there are four security zones, they are located in Internet Explorer under Tools, Options, Security tab. The four default zones are: Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites.

Tips

How To Add My Computer As the Fifth Internet Explorer Security Zone

By default there are four security zones, they are located in Internet Explorer under Tools, Options, Security tab. The four default zones are: Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites. There is a fifth hidden security zone, called My Computer zone and one can make this visible. To do this:-

Start>Run>Regedit >OK

Now navigate to the following location:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\Zones\0

Highlight "0" and locate data value called "Flags".The default dword value of it is 21.Right click on "Flags" and select Modify. Now change the value data from 21 to 47.Close the registry editor and restart the machine.