Claudius desired to have a huge army. He expected men to volunteer to join. A lot of men just didn't want to fight in battles. They did not need to leave their families and wives. As you might have got, not many m...

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Valentine. I lived in Rome through the next century. Which was long, long ago! At the moment, Rome was decided by an emperor named Claudius. I did not like Emperor Claudius, and I wasn't the only one! A great deal of people shared my thoughts. Link Emperor includes supplementary info about why to provide for this idea.

Claudius wanted to have a big army. H-e expected men to volunteer to participate. A lot of men only did not wish to fight in battles. They didn't want to leave their wives and families. While you could have thought, not many men signed up. To research additional info, you can have a view at: follow us on twitter. That made Claudius furious. So what happened? He'd a ridiculous idea. H-e thought that when men were not married, they would not mind joining the military. Therefore Claudius decided not to allow any longer marriages. Young people thought his new law was inappropriate. I thought it was preposterous! I undoubtedly was not likely to support that law!

Did I mention that I was a priest? One of my favorite actions was to marry couples. This telling link emporor URL has a pile of thought-provoking suggestions for the reason for it. This provocative 10 Ways To Indirectly Get To The Top rat - Wedding Blogs - Project Wedding website has diverse cogent aids for the reason for it. Even with Emperor Claudius passed his law, I continued performing marriage ceremonies -- privately, needless to say. It was really quite exciting. Imagine a small candle-lit room with only the bride and groom and myself. We'd whisper what of the ceremony, hearing whilst for the ways of soldiers.

One evening, we did hear footsteps. It was scary! Thank heavens the couple I was marrying escaped in time. I was caught. (Not quite as light on my legs as I applied to be, I guess.) I was placed in jail and told that my punishment was death.

I tried to remain cheerful. And do you know what? Wonderful things happened. Many young adults found the jail to go to me. They put flowers and notes up-to my window. They wanted me to understand that they, also, believed in love.

One of these simple young people was the daughter of the prison guard. Her father allowed her to visit me in the cell. Sometimes we'd sit and talk for hours. She helped me to keep my spirits up. She agreed that used to do the right thing by ignoring the Emperor and going ahead with the-secret relationships. To the morning I was to die, I left my friend a little notice thanking her for her friendship and loyalty. I signed it, 'Love from your Valentine.'

I believe that note began the custom of exchanging love messages on Valentine's Day. It was written on your day I died, February 1-4, 269 A.D.

Now, each year on this very day, people remember. But most importantly, they think of love and friendship. And when they think of Emperor Claudius, they remember how he tried to stand in the way in which of love, and they laugh -- because they understand that love can not be crushed!.